Catching Pets At Their Best Great Falls Connection)
- A Positive Reflection (Connection Newspapers 2013)
Fairfax Families4Kids Mentoring Program for Foster Children
- Fairfax Families4Kids Matches Children and Mentors (NBC – 6/14/2010)
- Fairfax mentoring program for foster children could end (Washington Post – 3/11/2010)
- Photographs With Needed Exposure – Traveling Exhibit Focuses on Hard-to-Place Teenagers in Foster Care (Washington Post – 2/8/2009)
- Photo Exhibit for children in foster care: Focus on Foster Kids in Fairfax County (WAMU 88.5 – 2/17/2009)
Albums of Love for Wednesday’s Children: Photographer Captures Cherished Memories
Joan goes along on most Wednesday’s Child video tapings for NBC’s Washington, DC affiliate in order to make sure the foster children profiled have picture to remember their time with Barbara Harrison.
Fostering Love: One Photographer’s Mission to Help Children One
Professional Photographer magazine featured Joan in its “good works” section, writing about her volunteer efforts to help children in foster care.
Radio Interview on Volunteerism
Joan was interviewed after winning the Volunteer Fairfax: Volunteer Service – Children at Risk Award on (www.volunteerfairfax.org) produced for the local Clear Channel stations (FM – 98.7, 97.1, 100.3, 99.5, DC101 and AM – 980, 570, 1260)
Contest Fosters Artistic Expression (Washington Post)
Tyrell Waller, 17, one of Joan’s mentees in foster care won second place in a Virginia arts competition.
Heart Gallery Features Photos of Children in Need of Permanent Families
Joan has been interviewed for two stories about the local Heart Gallery, a traveling display of photographs featuring foster children who are available for adoption.
- Freddie Mac Kicks Off Project To Find Permanent Families(NBC 4 Washington – 1/21/2009)
- Heart Gallery Helps Children Find Forever Families(NBC 4 Washington – 3/10/2010)
Foster Parent Appreciation: 2012
In addition, my images have appeared in The Washington Post, The New York Times, Washingtonian magazine, Capitol File, Children’s Voice magazine (the magazine of the Welfare League of America), Professional Photographer magazine (the magazine of the Professional Photographers Association), O Magazine, the Great Falls Connection, Centre View Southern District Connection, Centre View Northern District Connection, The Times of Fairfax County, The Great Falls Gazette, The Washington Examiner, German Shepherd Quarterly, The Fairfax News, and West Virginia magazine, Walworth County Today as well as on NBC-4 and in countless marketing, fund raising and public relations publications for various non-profits.